In October of 1942, a well used Ford coupe came rattling down East 20th Street bringing Dan Genung, fresh out of divinity school in Chicago, and his wife, Frances to Los Angeles. Little did they dream that the tiny seed of faith they had come to plant in this community would some day flower into the All Peoples Christian Center that serves south central Los Angeles today. Their primary goal was to establish a church, which came four years later when the original "house of prayer for all peoples" was chartered in May of 1946. Until 1964, the church and center worked as a single entity with monetary support from the church’s headquarters in Indianapolis, as one of the seven mission centers in the United States sponsored by the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The separation of the church and center allowed both groups to pursue their separate but united goals. During the next sixty-so years, the center has gone through World War II, major earthquakes, and several directors. And still the center, one of the first inner-city community centers in Los Angeles, continues to provide programs and social services to people of all ages and race in its community.